Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tidbits

This quote from Writing Down the Bones really spoke to me this week. Things are so messy in my life right now, that I don't think I am really seeing the material possibilities. So this was a wonderful reminder:

"A writer must say yes to life, to all of life: the water glasses, the Kemp's half-and-half, the ketchup on the counter. It is not a writer's task to say, 'It is dumb to live in a small town or to eat in a cafe when you can eat macrobiotic at home.' Our task is to say a holy yes to the real things in our lives as they exist--the real truth of who we are: several pounds overweight, the gray, cold street outside, the Christmas tinsel in the showcase, the Jewish writer in the orange booth across from her blonde friend who has black children. We must become writers who accept things as they are, come to love the details, and step forward with a yes on our lips so there can be no more noes in the world, noes that invalidate life and stop those details from coming."

Also, thanks for the comments on the previous post. I am still pondering all of your wisdom...but it felt so liberating just to get it out. And Amber, someone emailed me about that Writer's Digest article about Latino Lit. Is it a sign?

I miss visiting you all. I can only get online very late these days, and I am usually too tired to comment. But you are on my mind. Cue Willie Nelson, or the Pet Shop Boys.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Holy YES!!! :)

And a Reader's Digest article?? I want to hear more!

7:57 PM, June 27, 2008  
Blogger Suzie Ridler said...

What is a fantastic book! I loved reading it and am glad that it helped. I wished the book I had quoted was still in print. Yes, writing about it makes all the difference and see what's showing up already? Yay for you!

8:34 AM, June 28, 2008  
Blogger Becca said...

Thanks for this quote...I feel a Write on Wednesday post coming on ;)

11:05 AM, June 28, 2008  
Blogger Amber said...

Yes.

;)

12:50 AM, July 02, 2008  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

I love it when the universe steps in and starts sending us signs--unmistakeable--that we have to keep moving through the process. I hope you have many more!
Love,
D.

6:20 PM, July 02, 2008  
Blogger rdl said...

One of my favorites! Thanks for posting this where i can see it again.
like yr. blog - found you via Simply Wait.

8:46 PM, August 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home