Thursday, March 06, 2008


This week, I received the answer to three questions that have lurked in the back of my mind ever since I became a mother:

1) What if something ever happened to me while I was alone with Madam and she couldn't call 911?

2) How would Madam cope if we needed to go to the emergency room in the middle of the night?

3) If I ended up in the hospital, would I finally be able to get some rest?

The answers are:

1) My parents would call 911 from Miami when I didn't answer the phone and the police would rush over and pound on the door at around 1:15am, which I couldn't hear because I was apparently passed out in the bathroom.

2) Surprisingly well.

3) Alas, no.

Madam has been sick with a persistent stomach bug since Sunday night, and on Tuesday, I got hit with it, hard. My head spun, my stomach revolted. In misery, I called my mom to get sympathy and a possible homespun cure. But nothing worked, because nothing could stay down.

The worse part was that I couldn't even carry Madam, leading to much hysteria on her part (when I saw the police at the door, I thought someone had reported me for possible child abuse. That's how much she was crying.).

At some point I needed to vomit again, and after that the bathroom floor looked so inviting...

Next thing I know, the police are shouting "Minneapolis Police, open up!" and attempting to break the chain on my apartment door. It appears I had been out for about ten minutes. They took one look at swaying, pale me and recommended an ambulance.

Now, I was all ready to ride out this weird stomach thing, but I was frightened enough by this episode (My little Madam, alone! TEG, still in India!) that I finally agreed to go, after being assured that Madam would always be with me.

Madam was a complete trooper at this point, and not acting like the same furious child who had just spent the better part of an hour shrieking. "Get dressed, Mommy!" she said happily, clearly excited for an outing. I am still not sure how I managed it, but I got her fully dressed, prepared a snack, refilled her water bottle, and double checked her diapers and wipes. Must have been sheer force of habit.

The paramedic won her heart by allowing her to ride on the gurney with me. He even got her to sit in the ambulance car seat.

They put an IV in me and off we went. I was still a bit in and out, but very aware of Madam behind me, sitting quietly.

In the emergency room, they gave me another bag of fluids and some medicine (I guess I was dehydrated...can that happen so quickly?) and prepared a little bed for Madam. Who of course did not sleep (see question and answer #3). She was too keyed up by the new sights and sounds, saying "Baby cryin', Mommy. Happy, baby, happy!" whenever she heard an infant crying nearby. Somehow I managed to entertain her (with a lot of help from the new situation) while hooked up to monitors and the IV, and after a few hours, they allowed us to go home.

Madam was excited to ride in the taxi with the new balloon that one of the nurses gave her.

It was 5:00am.

I feel better, and more than a little foolish. I probably didn't need to go to the hospital, but I felt so ill at the time that I panicked.

My mom is here and other than a recurring headache and residual exhaustion, I don't think I suffered any ill effects.

But I'll be happy when TEG is home.



Blogger Melissa said...

Brave mama! What a way to spend a night. I'm glad you have some extra hands to help out now.

12:07 AM, March 07, 2008  
Blogger caro said...

Whoa indeed! What a night. So glad that you both weathered it ok, and that you've got your mom there to help out.

5:52 AM, March 07, 2008  
Blogger Jamie said...

Oh, no! I am so glad that help arrived and that you're starting to feel a bit better. Please know that I'm sending you loving, healing vibes and wishing for you calm and ease. My thoughts are with you and Madam. big hugs, Jamie.

8:38 AM, March 07, 2008  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I'm glad you went to the hospital. Dehydration is so dangerous and happens fast. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and that Madam did so well with her adventure.

Please don't feel foolish. When paramedics recommend you go with them it's a good idea to go. My brother is a medic and part of his job is to convince people who are sick and embarrassed that they really need medical help.

10:11 AM, March 07, 2008  
Blogger Becca said...

Good grief, you poor girl(s)! And yes, you probably did need to go to the hospital. Dehydration is no laughing matter. But how scary for you.

Glad you're feeling better :)

4:03 PM, March 07, 2008  
Blogger Melba said...

I wish I lived close enough to come to your aid! I am glad your Mama came to help you out.
Sending you love~ Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.


5:59 PM, March 07, 2008  
Blogger Jessie said...

OMG, M.! That is so weird. I mean, I've been WORRIED about you, but didn't want to call in case you were sick and resting. Oh my, now I feel horrible for NOT calling! I hope you're ok and I am so glad to hear that you mom is there.

Can I do anything for you??? Will you PLEASE tell me if I can?

I love ya. I'm glad you're mommy is there to take good care of YOU! Wow--we're really never to old to need our moms, are we.

11:10 PM, March 07, 2008  
Blogger Leah said...

Oh gosh! What a night! Take good care of yourself, hon. No need to feel foolish. You absolutely did the right thing to go to the hospital and get some fluids. I hope you can get a little rest now! ((hugs))

12:16 AM, March 08, 2008  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hugs and love to you both!

7:24 PM, March 08, 2008  
Blogger Frida said...

Whoa! You didn't panic! You had police banging down your door and realised that you had been passed out on the floor in a home where the only other person was a toddler. Off to the hospital was the only reasonable choice.

I'm glad you and Madan survived and that help arrived on time.

7:09 PM, March 10, 2008  
Blogger Earnest and Game: Heather said...

Oh, what a scary story--but with happy ending, thank goodness. How resilient both you and Madam are. Hope you continue to recover. Sending hugs, Heather

7:39 PM, March 10, 2008  
Blogger Amber said...

Oh No!! Sweetie! I hope you are okay now. Happy your mommy is with you now.

(((big hug)))


10:44 PM, March 11, 2008  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Holy crap girl!

That was an ordeal. Of course you should have gone to the hospital. Darlin you must have felt awful.

Glad you were ok and that M did a good job.

Hugs and love

6:10 AM, March 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home