Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Challenging can be beautiful

There is a parenting book out there with the enlightening title, Your three year old: friend or enemy.

Lately, I am leaning more towards the latter.

To her credit, Madam has been spectacular in the face of so much change. Her father's six week trip to India. Our two weeks at my parents' house. And now our seven weeks here. In the meantime, her schedule has warped to the point where it's no longer recognizable.

Of course, we miss the easy rhythm of our days at home. Our familiar haunts, now grown grassy after endless winter. Lakes that whisper with gentle airy laps, relishing fluidity after a hard freeze.

But...here we are.

Unfortunately, all of this change comes on the cusp of Madam's own changes—from two to three, from relative wordlessness to burbling sentences. From loving child into, well, into a three year old.

It's been challenging, to be sure. And yet, the other truth is that she's never been so lovely, so winsome, so brilliant and clever. Looking at her, I feel dizzy and particled with happiness. Until she starts screaming again, of course.

I'll be honest, I haven't been able to learn much from Madam in the last few months. My own depression was like a dense fog, and I was so tired from the efforts of moving from the living room to the bedroom to the kitchen that I was merely existing. Now, I am waking up again, little green shootlets of soul. And the phrase that shot through my mind while watching her today was “Challenging can be beautiful.

This is something I want to remember.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Welcome back. xo

2:06 AM, June 11, 2008  
Blogger Marianne said...

It's easy for me to say - since I get to leave them behind and come home at the end of the day - but when the children in my life get to three the quantum leaps in their cognitive skills blows my mind. Challenging, yes, but incredibly beautiful.

How is TEG's mum doing now?

8:23 AM, June 11, 2008  
Blogger Jessie said...

oooh, yes! i do agree that challenging CAN be beautiful! or do i just say that because i'm a bit challenging myself? hahaha! :)-

ps.
if madam's schedule is totally blown to pieces anyway, can we go have that martini once you get back to this great land of lakes and green grass?? i'm thirsty!

7:32 PM, June 11, 2008  
Blogger Becca said...

Three year olds get nicer as they get farther into that age. But each age definitely brings it's own (beautiful) challenges!

9:51 PM, June 13, 2008  
Blogger Amber said...

Your last paragraph... yes. I have been in this fog, as well. It is funny how children can keep you from falling all the way into it, just by being as beautifully needy as they are. But still, the fog has been hanging out.

I really wish you and I could sit and talk, while our girls played.

:)

11:47 PM, June 17, 2008  
Blogger Shannon said...

I've never commented here before mainly because I was too afraid to come out of the (blogging) closet. I'm still afraid, but I've decided to go for it. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think you're a beautiful writer (for example, "Lakes that whisper with gentle airy laps, relishing fluidity after a hard freeze"). I can only dream of writing such a lovely sentence! I hope you can find a way to continue writing, and that your love for writing is rekindled.

10:14 AM, June 28, 2008  
Blogger Vicky said...

Yes, challenging is beautiful!
mother of the bride jacket dresses

5:27 AM, July 04, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home