Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I dub it...Patry Francis day!



I wasn't really going to blog about Patry Francis today. I told myself that she had so many other amazing bloggers and writers in her corner, helping her celebrate and publicize the paperback edition of her book, The Liar's Diary—what could I add to the discussion? In the grand scheme of things, my voice is very small. So I would sit on the sidelines and cheer for the important players on the field.

And then I realized—how utterly un-Patry like of me. She is someone I deeply admire in part because she has insisted on putting forth her words and her vision—even when she was a working mother struggling to balance the needs of her children with her writing. Even now after the diagnosis she received—an aggressive strain of cancer.

Last year, she fulfilled a long standing dream and published her first book, The Liar's Diary, a psychological thriller about how the friendship between two women exposes dark secrets at the heart of their lives and families. Throughout the process of getting the book written and published, Patry shared much of her experiences and wisdom on her blog, Simply Wait. Those of us who are still writing, still dreaming, still hoping, found a champion in her...someone who had some of the same limitations, the same (or more) responsibility, the same STUFF that makes up a life, and who still realized her dreams through her talent and her tenacity. She's such a vital presence in our creativity community, always ready with encouragement, humor, wit, perseverence, and breathtaking writing.

Patry has shown me that it doesn't matter about the size of your gift, or your audience, or your voice.

It just matters that you open your mouth, pour out your words, and sing.

So, everyone, go out and support this amazing woman and writer. Go buy a copy of the newly published paperback of The Liar's Diary.

You'll be so thrilled that you did.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

What a beautiful and inspiring post! It's so energizing when we see that it is possible. Books are written despite the odds and published for the world to see.

May that spur on your dreams and uplift your heart.

4:31 PM, January 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a great post, and I feel so much the same way. Her story (the personal one and the fictional one!) inspire me -the everyday, working mom and mother me!

Now, I just want her to get well :)

9:44 PM, January 29, 2008  
Blogger Amber said...

I love what you say here! Just wonderful.

Out in paperback. And I went and gave the hard cover as Christmas gifts. LOL! Oh well. A good book is a good book!

Good juju to Patry!

:)

11:41 PM, January 29, 2008  
Blogger Lisa said...

What a great post! When I heard about the blog day, I hesitated at first too. I mean, have you seen some of the famous authors on that list? And then I realized Patry is one of us and no voice is ever too small to help out a friend, is it?
xo

11:55 PM, January 29, 2008  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Amen to opening your mouth, pouring out your words and singing! Am so glad so many people joined in the effort to promote The Liar's Diary. Patry's writing and her giving spirit informs and inspires us all.

3:12 AM, January 30, 2008  
Blogger Melanie Margaret said...

You did a beautiful job with this post!
I bought my copy today!
One day I will be buying a book with your name on the cover.:)
XO,
Melba

8:13 PM, January 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie: She really just DID it...she lived her dream. And she has the hardcover (and now the paperback!) to show for it. :)

Becca: Oh, me too. I really hope she gets well soon, and goes on to write more books. :)

Amber: A good book is a good book indeed...and hardcovers make lovely gifts. What good taste you have. :)

Lisa: Exactly. You always say what I am thinking (except better).

Tara: Me too (and your post was wonderful...I was going to comment, and then Madam got antsy!)

Melba: This made me teary. So thanks..I think.

And everyone...Patry's book is #2 on Amazon in her category of Suspense/Thrillers...so great work to all!

11:04 PM, January 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home