Thursday, June 01, 2006

Unmoored

My head is filled up with lists--to do lists, packing lists, shopping lists. I feel stuffed with cotton and about as creative as a wet sock. We're moving by the beginning of next week...and there's so much I want to say about California--and I will, when I have unfettered access to my computer--TEG has been using it, as his is in the shop. I want to talk about how the sky is like music, and the sun looks like a triumphant aria might, all crescendoes and crescendoes. About how the profusion of flowers reminds me of sari shopping in India...just abundance and drunken color everywhere.

But Madam needs me now.

I miss being here...I miss reading all of your wisdom and humor and discoveries on your blogs. I feel adrift--loosening my ties to one home without entering into the next.

I'll see you all when I'm all
moved. I might be 33 by then (it's my birthday week this week, so have a drink with an umbrella in my name, since I can't do it myself yet!). And I won't be a Californian anymore, at least physically. But who knows what the next few years will bring? I'm excited to meet myself-in-the-future. But I don't think California and I are quite done with each other yet.

(and a note about comments, that I originally posted below in the Ache post):

"
I never know quite how to respond to your comments...in email (but what if you are commenting without it linked?), in the comments section (but will you come back and read it)? But I needed to tell you how incredibly inspirational and helpful and thought-provoking your comments are. Not just for this post, but for all of them. They truly help me keep writing, and for that I thank you all from the bottom of my heart."

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger gkgirl said...

even unmoored
you write beautifully
and succintly...

and i am like you
with the comments,
i am never sure what to do...
so i just try to comment
on blogs of those who have
commented on mine...

:)

7:15 PM, June 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a safe move, and HAPPY BIRHTDAY!

a.

7:29 PM, June 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck with the move. Hope it all goes well. And have a happy, happy birthday! I hope the year to come brings much joy, love, laughter and all your heart desires!

9:35 PM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I hope this move goes well for you. It's always so difficult to make home in a new place. Remember to breathe and know that we'll all be here when you get a chance to check back in. Something I've learned through many moves - set the bed up first, before anything else. Get it made right away so that when you're too tired to unpack another box you can walk to the bedroom and climb into your comfy bed. Trust me on this. Love to you. And Happy Birthday!

10:05 PM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Alex S said...

Happy Birthday to you and many, many more. I moved from California to Oregon last yeear and I really miss it so very much sometimes. For as bizarre and crowded a place as it can be, theres still nothing like it, is it? Wishing you a safe, quick move and I look forward to reading much, much more about this next chapter in your life!

11:38 PM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Jessie said...

Write about the small details whenever you get the chance. Write the things you notice and love in the margins of your to do lists.

I left the place I loved most nearly a year ago. And when I read journals from the years that I lived there I am once again transported back to the place where a part of my heart will always live. I'm grateful I wrote down those small details down...things I didn't think anything of then, but that I treasure the memory of now.

I wish you smooth moving. And a WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY!!!

I feel selfish for saying this, but I'm looking forward to meeting you and am GRATEFUL you'll be living in the Mpls. when I get there.

I'm sending you lots of love. California lives in your molecules. It's in your skin and your veins and bones and blood. It's there inside of you no matter where you are.

I'll be thinking of you.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

love,
j.

12:17 AM, June 02, 2006  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I'm a new reader and don't talk back to you a lot, but I have come to love your writing and look forward to much, much more. My best wishes as you move and as you launch a new year! The best is yet to come - I'm sure of it.

8:54 AM, June 02, 2006  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

I didn't know you were moving -- maybe I missed a post along the way. Curious where you're going and if you're excited about it and what kind of a change it will be in your life. Have a great birthday. I actually have cocktail umbrellas, and don't need much of an excuse the use them!

10:31 AM, June 02, 2006  
Blogger M said...

Have a safe trip, hope it all goes smoothly. I'll be sending you positive vibes.
And Happy Birthday as well!!!
It's the beginning of a new adventure and I'm so happy we get to share it with you.
Good luck!

11:20 AM, June 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

see 'ya on the flip side.

be safe.

and happy, happy birthday!

3:31 PM, June 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally forgot you were moving! :( Happy Birthday! Look forward to hearing about your new environment when you get settled...

8:13 PM, June 04, 2006  
Blogger boho girl said...

Blessings on your move and Happy Birthday darling!

Excited for you...

xo,
boho

10:49 PM, June 04, 2006  
Blogger meghan said...

Have a safe, sane move, a wonderful wonderful birthday and come back soon!!! xo

4:09 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

come back to california when you can... we need more of you!

2:44 AM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

I hope you are safe and sound in your new home (soon if not by now). Happy, happy birthday! I hope this year brings you peace, moments of deep breathing, gentle growth and joy.

2:10 PM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger Yummyteece said...

oooops, i'm late on this one, but happy birthday!!!

12:30 PM, June 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home