Monday, May 08, 2006

Fragments

My imagination
Wears running shoes.
No gazelle, she;
Sometimes no grace
As she gambols with more gusto than wit

Unafraid of the pratfall, the foolish;
Holy fool, she.
While I grasp
For the neat phrase, the sexy sullen word
She spits a whorl of dust and runs
Away from any certainty
And gets on jags with song lyrics
And croons those two sentences in my ears
Until I make them fit
Someplace
She says the fitting’s the thing, after all.

She says nothing’s ever wasted
Not even time, if it eats through the rough
Inside and inside

My imagination
She won’t be part and parceled
She knows what she knows
The whole of the whole

I’m embraced by her long shadows
Danced around by outstretched arms
Myself, and myself the other
A passionate photonegative
Spinning, swirling, and falling
Like two strands of gossamer
Endlessly tangled by a child.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger M said...

This is amazing, once again! Thank you for sharing it with us. Keep it coming!

3:59 PM, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful (as always). Imagination...such a powerful ally.

8:24 PM, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m embraced by her long shadows
Danced around by outstretched arms

Beautiful. Just beautiful! And touching.

8:11 AM, May 09, 2006  
Blogger Jessie said...

Somehow this poem manages to tangle and swirl, run and dance, croon and fall all at once. Each movement personified by the emotion that it is born of.

I love the rhythm and the words and the story that it tells--the last line, creating the most striking image of all.

Your words make me look forward to more time to write poems!

11:19 AM, May 09, 2006  
Blogger BD said...

A very different interpretation to Fragments, refreshing...

2:05 PM, May 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home