Thursday, May 11, 2006

Poetry Thursday: My favorite poem

I hesitated a little when I saw this prompt. I love so many poems for so many different reasons. Like Megg's post about the "soundtrack of your life," I find I have a "poemtrack" of my life--depending on the time and the season.

But on further reflection, I realized that there's one poem I love above all others--a poem that continues to speak to whichever "me" is reading it at the time. It always seems to reveal further layered richness with each re-reading...and isn't that what poetry is about?

I love the joy in natural beauty that the Romantics were so known for; I love the melancholy joy that suffuses each line. And above all, I love the clarion call of my favorite lines, reminding me to celebrate the wonders of the life that I've been blessed to live, instead of mourning the fact that those times are past:

Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;
In the primal sympathy
Which having been must ever be;
In the soothing thoughts that spring
Out of human suffering;
In the faith that looks through death,
In years that bring the philosophic mind.

So, here is my favorite poem:

Ode, Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood by William Wordsworth


More poetic goodness here

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

So lovely! Thanks for reminding me of this poem. Hadn't read it in ages and I love its message.

2:02 PM, May 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually remember reading this poem in college, and I don't think it spoke much to me. But now that I'm a little older and tasted more of life, it certainly did.

7:22 PM, May 11, 2006  
Blogger meghan said...

beautiful poem and you're right - it is so hard to pick just one, mine chage from moment to moment. I'm glad you shared this one though! thank you!

5:13 AM, May 13, 2006  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

yes. love this. thank you for sharing this favorite poem. this message speaks to my soul this morning.

7:18 AM, May 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just beautiful!

6:30 PM, May 15, 2006  
Blogger White Square said...

its one of the poems that touches my heart..

9:47 AM, May 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home