Thursday, May 18, 2006

Poetry Thursday: Dithyramb of a Happy Woman

I just loved the exuberant joy expressed in this poem--it fairly dances on the page! And who doesn't want to be as "impossible as reality?" This reminded me of a Whitman-esque barbaric yawp, in a world where we shush our shouts way too often. So be loud, be thrilled to the fingertips, be the kind of fools commonly referred to as "holy."

I had to look up "dithyramb" and discovered one of its meaning is
"A wildly enthusiastic speech or piece of writing."

And isn't that what we're all doing here? I believe I've discovered our "patron poem!"

Ahem, I'll put my pom poms down now.

Happy Poetry Thursday!

Dithyramb of a Happy Woman
Anna Swir
(translated by Czeslaw Milosz)

Song of excess,
strength, mighty tenderness,
pliant ecstasy.
Magnificence
lovingly dancing.

I quiver as a body in rapture,
I quiver as a wing,
I am an explosion,
I overstep myself,
I am a fountain,
I have its resilience.
Excess,
a thousand excesses,
strength,
song of gushing strength.

There are gifts in me,
flowerings of abundance,
curls of light are sobbing,
a flame is foaming, its lofty ripeness
is ripening.
Oceans of glare,
rosy as the palate
of a big mouth in ecstacy.

I am astonished
up to my nostrils, I snort,
a snorting universe of astonishment
inundates me.
I am gulping excess, I am choking with fullness,
I am impossible as reality.


Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Susannah Conway said...

i love this! "I am gulping excess, I am choking with fullness, I am impossible as reality" yes yes yes, this is where i want to be - filled up with magnificence. fabulous!
Sx

3:29 PM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh my...this is fantastic! thank you for sharing this...wondrous. i know i will come back to read it over and over.

3:45 PM, May 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! Once again...amazing. Thanks for this.

3:52 PM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I thought this was refreshing and fun. I want to be this woman :)
Great post!

Thank you

4:55 PM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Dona Bogart said...

What energy!! I didn't know what a Dithyramb was before now, but I am going to try to write one.

5:13 PM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

This is a poem full of joie de vivre! Thanks so much for sharing it.

5:15 PM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger M said...

This is brilliant! So full of life! I'm so printing it off and putting it in my journal for frequent referals!!
Have a great weekend!

11:19 AM, May 19, 2006  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Yes, yes, yes. This is indeed "our" poem. Thank you! It's PERFECT.

3:12 PM, May 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...now that is living passionatly!
Wow, I love this and will not have to print it out to hang on to.
a.

9:30 AM, May 20, 2006  
Blogger meghan said...

I loved this! LOVED IT! What a find. I'm sorry, I need to go back and read it a few more times!!

6:44 AM, May 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home