Thursday, December 07, 2006

Poetry Thursday: Searches

I'm still thinking about what you said in the previous post--and I'm so grateful for all of you. Thank you--those words don't seem to be expansive enough for what I want to express.

My mind travels to gratitude today, and hope, and dealing with loss. I'm thinking about James Kim, the father who lost his life in a brave attempt to find rescue for his stranded family. I don't know them, but their circumstances feel so utterly mundane, so familiar--a family, driving, gets lost. How could the predictability of workaday life take such a tragic turn, spinning their world off of its axis? The answer is that it ALWAYS can. I lose sight of this very, very often, and fail to stop and glory in the comfort of things exactly as they are. James Kim was working from a very primal place--needing to help the people he loved most in the world. How extraordinary is the "ordinary" love I spend most of my time taking for granted. I hope the Kim family finds comfort in James Kim's enduring love for them, and I hope grace suffuses them at every turn.

So. Take a deep breath. You are loved. You are alive. Change is possible.

Poetry eludes me lately, and this latest "poem" is no exception. But I missed Poetry Thursday. Maybe if I keep trying to show up on faith, faith will meet me halfway.

Small and small
Can I fit myself into her eyes
And rest there
Complete as I am?

Wield words clumsy
Jigsaw makeshift armor
Knowing that one small finger
Can poke through the holes.

Her hand locks onto mine
We hold the china bowl tense
Outstretched
Teetering
But would it be so terrible
If water splashed
Overflowed beyond?

I hold her
As together
We grope in the dark
For the desire lines of angels
And the fires that warm
Lit by unexpected sources.

_________
For more poetry, go here.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Regina said...

That story touched me as well- having just lost my dad in September at the age of 89, I was so grateful to have him for so long. James Kim had so much father-ing to do yet... I am truly so sad for his family.
Your poem is beautiful, too.

5:01 PM, December 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful words. Glad to see you back here...even if things are challenging. Hope you will begin to see your brilliance!

6:33 PM, December 07, 2006  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

this is beautiful and your words touch me deeply.

i have also been thinking about the kim family. everyone out here just collectively cried i think when we heard the news they had found him. the joy and the intense grief that family has experienced. i keep reminding myself, "i am safe. i am blessed." over and over again.

10:08 PM, December 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. We *do* take so much for granted. What's that old saying "a shadow can't fall where there is no sun"? I will try this post when I start wallowing, which I seem to be getting inordiantely good at these days...
Thank you for this :)

9:33 PM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Beautiful poem and post. And the tragedy for the Kim family hurts my heart. One wrong turn and everything changes. Life is so fragile, it's just shocking.

4:45 PM, December 09, 2006  
Blogger Rethabile said...

Smooth poem. Reads like honey at places.

3:28 AM, December 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The answer is that it ALWAYS can. I lose sight of this very, very often, and fail to stop and glory in the comfort of things exactly as they are."-- yes yes yes. Me too. Me too!

This post is lovely. Your words touch me tonight...

:)Amber (for some reason blogger is giving me crap!grrr)

10:56 PM, December 14, 2006  
Blogger sophie said...

You always strike a
distant yet remembered chord
with me:)

8:51 PM, December 18, 2006  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

'We hold the china bowl tense'

Beautiful.

9:25 AM, December 20, 2006  
Blogger Amber said...

This is beautiful...

I tried to leave a comment here before, when blogger was giving me crap. I guess it didn't take. Pft!

Where are you?

Merry Christmas.

:)

12:52 PM, December 23, 2006  
Blogger Alex S said...

I'm just popping in too to wish you a wonderful holidays M. May this upcoming year be rich in health, discoveries, fresh beginnings, love, and fulfillment for you. I am sending you blessings and hugs.

2:26 PM, December 23, 2006  
Blogger Frida World said...

Yes, please, let's believe that if we keep turning up, on faith, that faith will meet us halfway. Thank you for that, thank you for showing up and sharing even when it is hard.

You wrote in an earlier post about reading other blogs of gorgeous, lively women and wondering what happened to THAT you. I hear you lovely Mardougrrl.

But this morning I got up, lasted a couple of hours and then crawled back into bed convinced I couldn't face the day. Eventually, of course, my obligations called me out from under the covers and here I am finding warmth, inspiration and encouragement on your blog.

Please keep turning up, if faith isn't there to meet you right away then I will be.

Thank you.
x

6:10 AM, December 29, 2006  
Blogger Cate said...

I'm missing your thoughts, your words. Hope all is well.

Joyful New Year to you! xo

1:30 PM, January 02, 2007  
Blogger madelyn said...

hello!
happy new year:)

9:45 AM, January 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home