Monday, November 06, 2006

Everyday I write the book...


No, this isn't me...but it looks JUST like my wedding fabric! From www.kenzi.com/HENNA/HTML/gallery_hands.htm

These past few days have been wonderful--I've realized that I am at my happiest when I feel myself drenched in creativity. Even when I am not able to be on the computer, I manage to scribble a few ideas down in my notebook, standing up at the kitchen counter. Madam plays around me, with her own books, and I brew a pot of wonderful coffee aka Mommy's Little Helper. I love the feeling that everything is connected to my novel--random things I overhear at the local Whole Foods, watching my daughter discover the glory that is "up" and "down". This is the first time I've ever allowed myself to combine so many things I love in one story. Usually, I decide that many of my interests are not literary enough, or something, so the field on which I allow myself to play (and write) becomes very small. This year, with this story, I feel like a little girl, giggling furtively, shoving dark chocolate in my mouth.

So now I know that I can write something substantial during naptimes and sleeptimes, but now the question is--can I write anything GOOD during that time period? Oh, well, that's a question for the second draft.

Today is my second seven year wedding anniversary--the Indian wedding. I can still smell the sweet smoke rising from the havan, still feel the weight of my heavily embroidered dress (no, not a sari...I couldn't walk in one of those back then!).

I keep wanting to post about India, write about the feelings that India evoked in me. But for some reason, I can't--I can't seem to separate the experience into bloggable chunks. It was so overwhelming, such an embrace, such a bombardment of color and sensuality and smells and tastes and feelings of dirt and sunshine baking on my skin.

I've never been to a place where I felt closer to God in all of its vastness.

I hope you are all having a wonderful week--I miss visiting you. I think I'll be slowing down on the writing a little bit this week, so I can connect to you all again. Creativity without community is not fulfilling enough for me.

20,017/50,000

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Indian Anniversary! :) India has always fascinated me, and your entries about it always make we want to hop on the next flight.

I wish I knew more about my roots there, I wish I could visit soon. I think I need that spirituality, that color, that richness in my life right now. Hearing your passion for the country connects me to it in some small way...so I hope you continue to share your experiences there with us.

And...ok 20017? MY. GOD. That's...incredible! I'm so proud of you, and Im so happy it's a fulfilling experience for you...keep on going, girl! You're doing so well, I knew you could do it!

7:56 PM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Cate said...

What a beautiful post.

Happy Indian anniversary! May your day be filled with thoughts of the past, present, and future!

As for NaNoWriMo, you.are.such.an.inspiration.

Your enthusiasm and commitment are absolutely contagious! Thank you for sharing your experiences! xo

8:04 PM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Jessie said...

I thought for sure that we wouldn't hear from you again until the end of November. I'm glad I was wrong! ;)

I crapped out on NaNoWriMo the first week. I've been writing a lot...but, dang, I'm just not fast enough for a novel. BUT I can say that it's got me writing in full force again. So I guess it IS good for something. As for 20,000+ words...holy cow!!! You should be proud of yourself. I do not doubt that it is more stunning than you realize.

ps.
I was at Whole Foods today after work. I imagine running into you at the grocery store some day. Ha! I love it. :)

9:08 PM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Holy Smokes!!! I can hardly wait to read what you've written.

11:14 PM, November 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's beautiful! I love the bit about interests not being "literary enough". That feeling was so strong enough for me before I had my boys that I didn't write at all. Motherhood made me realize that the "domestic sphere" is as interesting a thing to write about as any well-written thing is, and that the more you know about it, the more there is to write about it - the politics, the emotions, the economics, the spiritual aspects, everything.

10:44 AM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

I'm so psyched about your word count and your enthusiasm! I hope some of it will rub off on me! I've taken a few days off writing but it's not a lost cause. My wednesday goal is totally attainable, and I hope I can fall in love with my project the way you have. And I hope that you will find your way to blogging about India some time because I would love to read it!

11:02 AM, November 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your Indian wedding anniversary. It sounds like you are enjoying the process of writing. Keep it up. I'm sure whatever you create it will be wonderful. Be well.

6:26 PM, November 09, 2006  
Blogger pinkcoyote said...

i have not been here in too long. i am so very thrilled about your writing and the idea of you cramming chocolate in your mouth while your Madam plays happily. i, too, want to hear MORE about india and your connections to it and the land there. yearning to connect with you! xoxo p

3:08 PM, November 10, 2006  
Blogger Letha Sandison said...

I am busting with excitement for you...clapping and saying "oh yes!!" I am THRILLED that you are writing your novel and I can't wait to read it!!! It is al about the little things in life, writing is no different, there is magic and power in it all.

I am so happy for you!!

This picture is beautiful by the way, I would LOVE to see one of you!!

Have you read The Namesake and/or The Interpreter of Maladies?? I LOVE her writing and it is all about growing up first generation Indian. You might enjoy her.

I have ALWAYS wanted to go to India, I feel it's magical pull. Maybe on holiday from Africa :)

5:52 PM, November 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. I especially loved this: "I've never been to a place where I felt closer to God in all of its vastness."

5:09 PM, November 11, 2006  
Blogger Verity said...

You give me inspiration! I'm trying to get pregnant and wondering if I will be able to novel with an infant in tow. But I see you're over 33 thousand words, way ahead of me, and living a wonderful life celebrating your anniversary too! So well done! And Congratulations!

9:09 AM, November 12, 2006  
Blogger Alex S said...

Happy Anniversary!!!! I would truly love to hear about India when you feel inspired to write of it. It is high on my list of places I ache to visit. Your daughter is so lucky too to be growing up swathed in two cultures. I hope the writing is going well!!! I can't wait to hear an update. I've been checking in to your site, sad to see no new post but if its because you are writing, yay!!!

8:29 AM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger Rachel said...

Happy Anniversary. Am looking forward to reading your words too.

11:57 AM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger sophie said...

I would love love love to get
married in India -
and i am going with my son in
January - we are sooooo
excited -
the material is gorgeous!!!!!

3:15 PM, November 22, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I want to thank you for pushing me to write a bit more every day. I read your post, saw your NaNo count... I want one just like yours--even if it be 50,001/50,000!

6:00 PM, November 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home