Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sunday Scribblings-What would you do?

Thanks to Megg and Laini for setting this up. This one is...random. I'm just feeling so shackled lately, so if I knew I couldn't fail, I'd just feel so FREE--to be a scholar, to write, to LIVE.

Like Megg, I did this one as a five minute timed write (which was all I could with the Madam's nap coming to an end).

"What would I do if I knew I could not fail"

If I could not fail, I’d be free to thunder through the earth, marking my territory like any jungle cat, words flowing like poetry and pearls from my mouth (only the swine appreciate them this time and ask for more).

I’d pack up a dollar bag full of paperbacks and fairy dust and toss some over my shoulder as I got on the plane to each new place—meditating with serene monks in China, haggling with street vendors for enlightenment in India, sipping coffee and talking revolution in France.

And when I tired of that, I’d laze—oh, I’d laze so much I’d ooze from the furniture, slide towards the bookshelf, and devour it through my open skull. I’d eat the genius of the world and drink all of the brilliance until my starry intoxicated eyes spun in time with the whirling atoms.

I’d be able to go back and forth in time—no more regrets. Enjoy it all with my mouth gaping open in laughter, and shoulders thrown back in confidence.

I’d write my words in six foot tall letters, in pink hallucination colors, on every bland surface of the world. I'd see the improbable around every corner, lthrobbing warm underneath grey business suits.

Until I curled in deep within myself, in warm cashmere hugs and honey tinged respect—diving into knowledge until I’m breathless with it. And then I’d have a Masters of Imagination, and a PhD in Exciting Esoteric Knowledge that would filter out every boring dust mote in the world and let my life shine sun-kissed and large.

I’d sing louder, spin faster, dance longer, love harder, learn deeper, travel longer, create miracles.

And people would pay to see me do it.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Sunday Scribblings said...

I was smiling the whole time I read this! It's so much fun -- I want degrees in Imagination and Exciting Esoteric Knowledge, too! I can really feel you bursting at the seams with creativity, with longing for more time to create -- and your ode to lazing is so funny, too. I love this Spanish proverb: Ah, to do nothing and then rest afterwards. So glad you participated in Sunday Scribblings!

9:52 PM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Oops, that was from Laini!

9:52 PM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger harmonyinline said...

I love the imagery of “ words in six foot tall letters, in pink hallucination colors”

10:00 PM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger Cate said...

Ahhhhhh! I LOVE this! You make me want to "ooze from the furniture, slide towards the bookshelf" too! And I'll take some of your "shoulders thrown back confidence" and "hallucination letters!" Oh, and where do I apply for for the Master's Program in Imagination (Why, why, why don't such things exist?)

You're one gifted and imaginative chick! If this was the result of a 5 minute writing session, I'd love to see what you could do with half and hour!

7:03 AM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger GoGo said...

I'm loving this piece. The way you put words together is inspiring. I can't wait to readmore.

9:45 AM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger boho girl said...

i was smiling the whole time i read this too.

i felt like you sent me on a wild and wonderous trip.

well done.

11:02 AM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger M said...

Love love love reading your stuff. This scribblings thing is going to be pretty wonderful, I have a feeling. Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog too!! Hope you're feeling better this week.

3:38 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger meghan said...

WOW - that was astounding. I was practically packed to join you. I want more!!

4:00 PM, April 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you happened by my blog so I could find yours. This is amazing! Make it all happen...

Seems like we've both been a little down lately as well. Here is to finding our way through to something better. be well.

10:49 PM, April 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stunning...more poetry than prose

1:59 PM, April 04, 2006  
Blogger HoBess said...

energizing ... I think I'll tack up your oozing from the sofa and devouring the bookshelf with an open skull ... nothing is more energizing than a hunger for knowledge. Glad to meet you through Sunday Scribblings.

3:33 PM, April 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that just came to you, in 5 minutes! That is your stream of consciousness stuff? Brilliant woman, brilliant.

Are you sure you don't already have a masters in imagination?

8:03 PM, April 04, 2006  
Blogger Caroline said...

I think people would indeed pay to see you do this. ;-)

I just didn't see them being part of the plan as I read it...

7:00 AM, April 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you're collecting these essays to put in your book...the one I plan to buy. :)

7:45 AM, April 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home