Thursday, March 09, 2006

Poetic Thursday

e.e. cummings, 95 poems, 77

i am a little church(no great cathedral)
far from the splendor and squalor of hurrying cities
--i do not worry if briefer days grow briefest,
i am not sorry when sun and rain make april

my life is the life of the reaper and the sower;
my prayers are prayers of earth's own clumsily striving
(finding and losing and laughing and crying)children
whose any sadness or joy is my grief or my gladness

around me surges a miracle of unceasing
birth and glory and death and resurrection:
over my sleeping self float flaming symbols
of hope,and i wake to a perfect patience of mountains

i am a little church(far from the frantic
world with its rapture and anguish)at peace with nature
--i do not worry if longer nights grow longest;
i am not sorry when silence becomes singing

winter by spring,i lift my diminutive spire to
merciful Him Whose only now is forever:
standing erect in the deathless truth of His presence
(welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness)

*********************************************************

I chose this poem in response to a comment a poster made about being insignificant. It reminds me that even a little church can dance in the splendor of the world.

I'm weary--I feel sleep deprived and shouted at and generally beaten down by life today. But finding this poem was like taking a little mental vacation.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

I hope you're feeling less beaten down! I had a couple of those kind of days earlier in the week!

Thank you so much for sharing this poem. I love the work of e.e. cummings, and I enjoy your thoughts about little churches dancing in the splendor of the world! Makes us feel like a little more signifcant, sort of like we might matter.

7:05 PM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Sky said...

a nice reminder of cummings. thanks for sharing this.

hope you get some rest and feel refreshed and valued soon. be tender with yourself right now. :)

5:22 AM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger meghan said...

I hope that you are feeling better and lighter today! I LOVE e.e.cummings. I almost posted one of his poems myself! You have made me feel lighter already! Thank you for this -

9:43 AM, March 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so happy to see this today! Every time I read one of ee's poems I like him a little more.

Have you read his book 'An Enromous Room'? It's a memoir of his time in a French concentration camp during WWI, and it's completely fantastic, by far my favorite of his work. If you ever get a chance, it's worth a look.

10:46 AM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger M said...

thank you for this lovely poem and all your words from yesterday- I've been feeling the same way this week, overwhelmed and I don't even have a child or writing to do! Its still nice to know I'm not alone in all of this. I'm going to choose all as well.

11:42 AM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

beautiful. i want to read this over and over and over again. thank you.
i hope that you took care of yourself this weekend...balancing all that you do with compassion for yourself.

12:23 AM, March 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home