Tuesday, September 04, 2007

East, West, Home's Best


From here

When is a vacation not exactly a vacation?

When it leads to an unintended blogging break. I was prepared, nestling my new Macbook into the diaper bag like a cherished egg. Already anticipating the time I would have to write, while sipping some delicious cafe Cubano in my parents' sunny kitchen.

But, alas and alack...someone tampered with their wireless router and despite my best geeky attempts, I was unable to fix it.

It wasn't all terrible, though. I'm always inspired at my parents' house (which is strange, since they tend to be so critical of me) and this time was no different. Without the distraction of the internet, I was able to sit down and patiently retrace my steps through my story, figuring out where I was stuck and planning a tentative work-around. I was also able to read three wonderful novels, and two writing books besides. So, productive.

I missed this place, though. It was strange to be around people who aren't obsessed with what they are writing, or painting, or thinking.

I like our way better.

One slightly worrisome question for the parents out thereā€”is it normal for Madam to be so uncomfortable around my parents, still? She saw them in July for her birthday (for a week) and just spent ten days at their house. And yet, she won't be alone in a room with them (seriously, she was my little toddler shadow for ten days; I had to shower with her sitting on the floor of the bathroom, watching, unless I waited until after bedtime) or even really allow them to carry her. Am I doing something wrong? It makes me feel horribly guilty, especially since my parents adore her and would gladly spend their time lavishing her with loving attention.

More later when I am less exhausted. I cannot WAIT to catch up with all of your blogs!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger caro said...

Welcome home! I'd been wondering where you were. Glad you got so much accomplished during your unintentional internet fast. I don't think I have anything helpful about the grandparent shyness. Ingrid has been uncharacteristically clingy and antisocial lately, so maybe it's the age?

1:15 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger Melanie Margaret said...

Good to have you back!

Madam is probably just not use to be without you. Eventually though it would be good for her to spend a few hours every week away from you. Our library had a good program for my son when he was 3. I enrolled him in a story time at our local library. It was very inexpensive ~only $30 for the entire 6 months. He went downstairs with all the other children and the librarian for a story, song, craft, and snack. All the Mom's and other younger children were suppose to stay upstairs. In the beginning I had to go downstairs with him because he didn't want to be with out me, but eventually he was ok. Maybe there is something similiar in your area?

4:40 PM, September 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caro: How is the little Iris? I want to give you a present--what's the best way to do that? And yes, I HOPE its just the age, and not some sort of weird dislike of my parents. Sigh.

Melba: Yep...we do a toddler class (which is about to start again next week) that is partially separating--we start the class together and eventually I go next door to chat with the parents while she plays with the teachers and other children.

And it's good to be back!

5:09 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Welcome home! Wow, so much reading in just ten days - perfect.

It's been too many years since I dealt with clingy toddlers, but I think this is probably normal. A phase. I agree with Melba. A little step away here and there might be good for both of you.

We've got some email catch up to do. I'll send you one soon.

11:04 PM, September 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

our grandson lived with us for a year from 1+ to 2+ and even though he adores Husband, he was still shy after he and Mom moved into their own place and they came back to visit (biweekly) - we'd have to scoop him up hug him (which he expected)...now that he's older, it's much better. I agree with all above - it's the age.

4:21 PM, September 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home