Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Bullets and Awards

Writing that last post about decision making was more emotional than I could have anticipated. I've always laughed it off, this indecisive nature of mine, nodding ruefully at TEG's and my family's gentle (and not so gentle) ribbing. But it BOTHERS me, this distrust of my own desires. When I spend the better part of an afternoon fretting about the best way to make use of an Amazon gift certificate (an activity which should be FUN, damn it!), then I know this is something larger than just a joke.

That post, and your responses, have forced me to think about it, and more importantly, to think about ways to work through it and change it. So, as always, thank you.
_________________________________________

Stealing from the best isn't really thievery...it's more like an homage. So, here is my homage to the bullet point posting style that Phantom Scribbler uses.


  • You would think that after the emotional pummeling I received last month when my parents came to visit, that I might be alittle hesitant to see them again so soon. And you would be right. And yet, in two short weeks, the Madam and I will be winging our way to South Florida to see them again. And my whole family. Wish me serenity.
  • Yes, Madam is speaking now. Just single words, but OH, how much less frustrating our lives are! I ask her what she wants to play with, she says, "'ide" for slide and everything is wonderful!
  • Not to mention, hearing her say mama is...well, it's indescribable.
  • But weaning is still nothing but a pipe dream.
  • Or it would be, if I were sleeping.
  • I have decided to speak to myself as though I were a really good friend of mine for the week.
  • I realized that if I had a close friend whose husband was working about 100 hours a week or so, and she was tending a toddler about the same amount of time, I probably wouldn't yell at her because she wasn't working on her novel.
  • That being said, I have been working on mine. Well, does thinking count? I've decided the tortoise is a beautiful and underrated animal.
_______________________________________
Thanks to Crystal King and Tammy Vitale for awarding me a Rockin Blogger Award and a Blogger Reflection Award, respectively. I'm honored...thank you!

I need to pick five bloggers to pass on each award. To make it more challenging, I've decided not to allow myself to pick bloggers I've already awarded in the past.



When I Finally Decided to Get it: Tori consistently inspires me with her open spirit. It's like she is EATING life, which definitely rocks.


Marvelous Madness: Alexandra is busy studying and living, so she's not posting as much as she used to, and I am sure I am not alone is saying that I miss her unique, beautiful spirit, and her fabulous (literally, as she has an amazing imagination) posts. Come back, Alexandra!

Earnest and Game: This one is cheating, a little bit. Heather is a dear friend in life, and thus I can personally vouch for the fact that the witty, erudite voice she uses on her posts IS in fact the way she speaks. Which rocks.

Bohemian Mom: Because have you SEEN her dioramas illustrating scenes from her favorite horror movies? And have you read her fun, hopeful posts? She, well, rocks.

Creative Everyday: Leah's art is simply gorgeous and her posts never fail to make me think...

Which leads me to the Blogger Reflection Awards:



Bub and Pie: Her fertile mind can make connections between even the most incongruous topics. I always feel like I've gotten a delightful brain massage when I read her posts.

The Silent K: She turns her life's experiences into alchemy. Krista's words resonate long after I've read them.

Be Alive Believe Be You: Melba's experiencing what can only be described as a total life awakening and her excitement and thoughts are contagious

Frida's Notebook
: Even in the midst of her important, difficult work, her writing glows with soul and beauty.

Mother Words-Mothers Who Write: Kate is what I aspire to be--a mother who can use her entire life to create beautiful works of writing. She expands my ideas of what is possible for a mother-writer.

And because I can't help but break the rules slightly, here are three people I COULD NOT leave off this list:

The Believing Soul
: Amber is the reason these types of posts exist. She gets into the depths of her life, and imbues it with faith and meaning.

Simply Wait: Patry Francis is living the dream now, sure, but she's always been an amazing, generous writer--she can't help herself.

Phantom Scribbler: It doesn't matter WHAT she is writing about--the woman can WRITE, and her words never fail to make me see things a different way.

So, there you go! My awards. And phew, I'm tired.


Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Awww! Thank you. That means a lot from you, because I love your talent so much!

:)

1:27 AM, August 08, 2007  
Blogger Bea said...

Thanks! I see I've got some browsing to do - lots of new-to-me blogs on your list...

8:00 AM, August 08, 2007  
Blogger Leah said...

thanks babe! writing those award things is exhausting isn't it?

you know, i have the same struggles with decision making. and even when i just up and decide i'll second guess myself into a tizzy. it's not fun. (((hugs and love)))

11:33 AM, August 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! I heartily second your decision to talk to yourself like a good friend this week and every week. Thanks also for the new blogs to visit.

1:33 PM, August 08, 2007  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh, wow. Although a boy recently told me that I was "hotter than f##k," (I am not making this up! Who talks this way?) that does not compare to being told that I *rock.* I am going to mow some boys down on the soccer pitch today at my co-ed pick-up, because, like, "I rock!" There's a good moment in Spike Lee's "He Got Game" (seriously under-rated!) where the kid sister is destroying invaders on a video game, and she is just doing so awesome that she exclaims, emphatically, "I AM THE BOMB" and that's kind of how you are with your blog. Ok? Sorry for the girlie effusion and hints of megalomania...coming down, coming down, ok, back to earth. But with a bounce in my step. Noooo, YOU ROCK! Xoxoxo, Heather

4:11 PM, August 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Heather is making fun of me. In a rockin' way, of course. ;)

And for the rest of you...keep on with your awesome selves. You make blogging worth it.

4:25 PM, August 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your own awards! Just wanted to take this space to tell you again how much your blog enriches my life. Your entries are always smart and interesting and refreshing.
I wish I could think of more suitable adjectives to tell you how great your writing has been since you started this blog!
Anyway, THANK YOU for never compromising the quality of your entries, for always having something HONEST to talk about, for opening up so much about your life, and for adding so much creativity to mine.

1:02 AM, August 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so many delicious blogs....so little time....

11:28 AM, August 09, 2007  
Blogger Melanie Margaret said...

Thank you!
I am in such great company!
XO,
Melba

12:22 PM, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Thanks, Mardougrrrl! I'm blushing.

You have my enormous sympathy on teh weaning. And on the rest of it. Believe me, my husband works at HOME for great swathes of the summer, and I'm still barely able to pull together bullets. Go easy on yourself.

9:44 PM, August 12, 2007  
Blogger kate hopper said...

Thank you! Thank you. So sweet. And I want to say how much I value your words and experiences and talent. You rock!

3:10 PM, August 13, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you! I am so touched by your words and am so glad I found your blog!

8:34 PM, August 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I changed my tagline to: turning life experience to alchemy!
haha. Thanks- you're awesome.

10:45 AM, August 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home