Tuesday, July 24, 2007

When short on words...meme!

Honestly, people, where HAS my blogging voice gone? I couldn't even find a way to work through the Sunday Scribbling post this week...and the word was wicked. WICKED, people. I love that word. I can use it as a noun, an adjective, and possibly even a verb. I am steeped in wicked. And yet...nothing.

Even though Madam fills my days with profound love and occasionally aching frustration, I seem to lack that gift that turns those events into charming, bloggable stories.

I would love to say that my thoughts are tumbling ever forth, like a rushing river, but powering movement towards my novel instead of my happy blog. And actually, that's not entirely far from the truth. While I am not exactly writing, per se, I am plotting again--immersing myself in the world of my novel to such an extent that I am beginning, slowly, to hear their voices again. And to have more of a sense of what they are doing, and why I care about what they are doing.

Now, I just need to tell myself the story of how it ends, and then I can go back to the work of putting one word after another. For some reason, I can't write anything until I have a pretty clear idea about the ending. Anyone else have this problem? Have you discovered a workaround?

Thanks to the lovely Kate, I can pretend I have something to say.

Eight things about me:

1) I hear music in my head ALL DAY LONG. It's my radio. I just finished a book that referred to it as the "jingle channel" and mentioned that no psychologist has really bothered to study it.

2) So now, of course, I want to study it.

3) Unfortunately, I also have a "horror channel"--where I see all sorts of Gothic horrors surprising me in dark closets, narrow hallways, etc. Sometimes I think my true talent must lie in horror writing, but then I am afraid that I'll be MORE afraid all of the time.

4) Since starting this blog, I have completely changed my mind about one thing--I no longer believe that our present lives need to be negatively impacted by our upbringing. I still write about my childhood and my parents, but more in the service of the stories themselves, instead of looking at them as some sort of a Master Key that will "fix" my life.

5) That being said, I am still looking for that "Master Key" that will fix my life.

6) I take out entirely too many books from the library, and then feel guilty and stressed that I can't finish them. Then, I return a bunch unread, feel virtuous for a bit, and repeat the whole cycle again.

7) I came very very close to working for a literary erotica publisher in New York--the same publisher who put out Henry Miller's novels. I actually got to have a long talk with the man himself. The publisher. Not Henry Miller.

8) At the height of the breakdancing craze, I hired a friend of the family to teach the rudiments. I was all about 10 years old.

Bonus! 9) As of today, alas, I cannot break dance. But I can do a mean Worm, if you get me drunk enough.

Tagging: Jessie, Emmie, Heather, and, uh, YOU, if you want to play!

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Super interesting facts. Great to learn this stuff about you.

7:07 PM, July 24, 2007  
Blogger Crystal said...

I'm reading a book right now that your horror channel and music remind me of a bit...it's called The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly and the main character is a little boy who hears books on shelves talk to him. It's a great read so far.

btw, you're pretty rockin' as you will see if you check out my blog!

9:48 PM, July 24, 2007  
Blogger Jessie said...

seriously. now i want to see you get so drunk that you do the worm. next time we go out...it's not going to be for coffee!!!

haha! great list, m.

ps.
thanks for tagging me. now i have good excuse to return to my blog. ;)

10:13 PM, July 24, 2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Wicked is one of my favorite words too and I had trouble thinking of something creative for it. Maybe I'll use it for a free-write and see what happens.

Glad to hear the story is talking to you again.Isn't that just magical when it happens?

My inner radio reception is intermittent, and usually the same song over and over and over...

10:03 AM, July 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that you are feeling your way back into your characters and their story.

I also have a constant soundtrack, I never realised it wasn't there for everyone til I was quite grown, cuase my sister is the same. We'll dance along the aisles at the supermarket each to our own silent soundtrack... I don't know how people get through the day without it - Oh yeah - iPods....

x

12:35 PM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger Amber said...

I was all excited that you met Henry Miller for a sec! lol But I still think that sounds kinda cool. why did it not happen? Did they have like penis coffee straws in the staffroom? Or a "underwear optional" day, or something? LOL

:)

11:20 AM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger Writer Bug said...

LOL. I'd love to see that worm!

1:51 PM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger Cate said...

Oh, that was fun! I cracked up over #4 and its follow-up (still looking for that "key," also), and #7 is so freakin' cool. Love your "you" facts!

3:39 PM, July 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I had no idea about any of these things! Fascinating!

5) That being said, I am still looking for that "Master Key" that will fix my life

Dude, I SO get this. I perpetually feel like I'm waiting for something to HAPPEN, for now, I'm just coasting by and watching out for IT.

Got my comp back! I miss you!!!

xoxo

9:58 PM, July 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home