Tuesday, September 19, 2006

All about books, a meme

I've been tagged by my dear friend at Earnest and Game, and as the meme is about books, and as I've never done one of these, I thought it would be fun. Unfortunately, I absolutely CANNOT just leave it to one book, so...

1. A book that changed your life:
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Women who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Sacred Contracts by Caroline Myss
Yo by Julia Alvarez
Of Women Born by Adrienne Rich
The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
Howl and other Poems by Allen Ginsberg
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott

2. A book you've read more than once
See all of the above (except the Estes, and I am working on that...) and...
I could do anything, if I knew what it was by Barbara Sher
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott

3. A book you'd want on a desert island:
Women Who Run with the Wolves
A collected Shakespeare

4. A book that made me giddy:
Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Writing a Women's Life by Carolyn G. Heilbrun
The Treehouse by Naomi Wolf
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Succulent Wild Woman by SARK

5. A book you wish had been written
How about the “No, seriously, THIS is how you live” book?

6. A book that wracked you with sobs:
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebald
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

7. A book you wish had not been written
Mein Kampf by Hitler

8. A book you are currently reading
Beyond Belief by Elaine Pagels
Focusing by Eugene T. Gendlin
Letters to a Young Artist by Julia Cameron

9. A book you've been meaning to read
Feminine Mystique by Betty Freidan
The Last of Her Kind by Sigrid Nunez
Middlemarch by George Eliot
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

I’m tagging Jessie and Ally Bean and Beansprout. And anyone else who wants to play.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Frances Hodgson Burnett, thank you! I don't remember crying about the Little Prince. Hm. I didn't know that you liked Motherless Brooklyn-what a great concept, some guy with Tourette's running around questioning people, trying to solve a murder. I cannot get more than 15 pages into Fortress of Solitude. You can buy a group of songs, a "soundtrack" that Chabon compiled for Kavalier & Klay on itunes.

I know, just 1 bk answers seemed impossible. Thanks for sharing! xoxoxo,

1:06 PM, September 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great! I'll have to pick up a few of these. I loved "Anne of Green Gables" too. LOL. It's such a comfy book.

5:13 PM, September 20, 2006  
Blogger Jessie said...

ok, I did it! Your long lists were a bad influence on my though. ;) thanks for tagging me. I had fun! I even woke up this morning thinking: "Oh my god, I forgot one!" heehee! It's been added. :P

9:43 AM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Jessie said...

ps.
The God of Small Things was an incredible book and so was Women Who Run With Wolves and Bird by Bird and On the Road

...not to mention, there's a few titles you've listed that I think I should add to my own reading list! :)

9:46 AM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Lovely list - I am a big Anne Lamott fan too. She is just so wacky and wise. I also like The God of Small Things and several others on your list.

5:43 PM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

There's a fair amount of books I'm not familiar with one your list. How exciting! And I can totally vouch for Middlemarch and Kavalier & Klay. Both terrific!

1:06 AM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Alex S said...

I've loved Eat Pray Love, SARK, and Anne Lamott so much and have been fortunate enough to hear each of them speak too on book tours. Equally inspiring in person. And Kavalier & Clay was truly amazing-highly recommend it!

12:39 PM, September 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home