Thursday, April 06, 2006

Poetic Thursday: The Waking

I guess I needed the constant reminder that the only way through it, sometimes, is, well...through it. The only way to learn how to write is by writing. The only way to learn how to live is by living...even when I'm lost. Especially when I'm lost.

The Waking
by Theodore Roethke


I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I have to go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me, so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Letha Sandison said...

What a beautiful poem and post!!

I am walking through it too my friend!!!

It helps to know that we all have to walk our paths, there is no way around it, expect to stay in one place. Not a good option!

Thank goodness there is support here and amoung women!

4:44 PM, April 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you did not write that did you?

did you?

It is fabulous. It also has great rythym. I wanted to snap my fingers as I read it.

10:00 PM, April 06, 2006  
Blogger Nicole said...

I am amazed by the lucidity of your thoughts! I can't even imagine what you used to write before you were a mom struggling with sleep deprivation and diapers. I can't even think straight anymore much less write poetry...you're my hero! Beautiful post

11:58 AM, April 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack! Much as I would like to take the credit for this fabulous poem, it was written by a brilliant poet, Theodore Roethke. aka not me! :)

1:17 PM, April 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes. so many lines to think about. i especially like : I learn by going where I have to go. and as letha says, it helps to know that we have to do this - walk our paths - and that there is a huge amount of support here as we do it.

9:38 PM, April 07, 2006  
Anonymous Nancy said...

A twist on a song on a poem by the lovely Antonio Machado?

...pasar haciendo camino,
camino sobre el mar...
...caminante, no hay camino,
se hace el camino al andar...

I wonder if Roethke ever read Machado?

Thanks for your beautiful reminder.

Nancy
nsayed6266@aol.com

12:19 AM, July 27, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home